- 2 lbs. clean chicken gizzards and cut in half
- 4 cups water
- 2 chicken cubes
- 2 tbsp. sofrito
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp. butter
- ½ cup onion (minced)
- 1 tsp. garlic
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 1 of seasoning with cilantro and achoite
- ¼ cup fresh coriander
- 2 tbsp. sherry wine
- 1 tsp. hot sauce (optional)
- 1 cup liquid from the sweetbreads
- Clean the gizzards, cut in half lengthwise and wash in water with vinegar or lemon juice and drain.
- Put the sweetbreads in a medium saucepan and add the water, cubes, stir-fry and cook at medium heat for 1 hour until they soften and then drain. Reserve a cup of the liquid to add to the sauce. Set aside.
- Prepare the sauce: In a medium saucepan add the olive oil and butter, heat over medium heat, add the onion, garlic and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the sweetbreads and the rest of the ingredients and season to taste. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- NOTE: You can thicken it by adding 1 tablespoon of flour to the sauce.