- ¼ cup olive oil prepared with achiote
- ½ cup sofrito
- 6 oz. chopped cooking ham
- 4 cups medium grain rice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 fried and chopped ripe plantains
- 1 cup bell pepper (sweet drops)
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh coriander
- Salt to taste
- Prepare the ripe ones. Peel the ripe plantains and cut into flakes. Fry in corn oil until golden brown. Let cool and cut into pieces.
- Prepare the rice. In a medium saucepan add the olive oil, sofrito, cooking ham and cook at medium heat for 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the broth, heat to a boil, add the rice and cook over medium heat for 20-25 minutes. Add the maduritos, bell pepper and minced fresh coriander and cook for 5-8 minutes. Serve hot.
- NOTE: To prepare the achiote in olive oil. In a medium saucepan add 1/2 cup achiote and 1 cup olive oil and cook at medium heat for 5 minutes. Let cool and strain, separating the olive oil from the achiote. Another option is to use a seasoning with coriander and achiote. 1 sachet of seasoning is used for every 2 cups of rice.