- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ lb. minced ham
- ¼ cup sofrito
- 1 packet of seasoning with coriander and achiote (or use olive oil prepared with achiote)
- 1 can 15 oz. pigeon peas with their liquid
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups long grain rice
- salt to taste
- In a medium saucepan add the olive oil, heat over medium heat, add the ham and cook until golden brown. Add the sofrito, seasoning with cilantro and achiote, if not you use the oil prepared with achiote, pigeon peas and cook at medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, season to taste, cover and cook at medium heat for 20 to 25 minutes.
- NOTE: You can use fresh pigeon peas, remember to cook and then add it to the recipe. You can substitute part of the broth with coconut milk to add the coconut flavor. You can also add fried yellows. The coriander and achiote seasoning can be substituted for olive oil with achiote
- Another ingredient that you can add to rice with pigeon peas are pork dumplings that must already be cooked and seasoned.