- 4 lbs. pork (shoulder)
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup fresh milk
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 orange cut into two pieces
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 tsp. oregano
- ½ tsp. cumin powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan add the pork with the water, fresh milk and the rest of the ingredients. Cover and cook at medium heat for 1 ½ hours. Let cool and separate the pork from the liquid, keeping the liquid in another saucepan. Remove the onion, garlic, bay leaves and orange.
- Reduce the liquid from the dumplings and cook for 12 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Crumble the pork dumplings and place on a baking tray. Pour the liquid from the dumplings over the shredded meat. Bring to the oven and bake uncovered for 12-15 minutes until golden brown. Serve immediately.
- Accompany and serve with flour or corn templates and your favorite companions such as guacamole, pico de gallo, lemon, cilantro and cheeses.
- NOTE: The ingredients that fresh milk has make the meat tender when cooked by cooking it in a common saucepan like the ones we regularly have in our kitchens. There is no need to have a “Dutch Oven” or “Slow Cooker”, but if you want to use these kitchen equipment you can use them remembering that it will take less time to cook.