- 5 medium baked potatoes
- ¼ cup olive oil with achiote
- 1 cup of chopped tomato
- ¼ cup sofrito
- 1 tsp. minced or crushed garlic
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ½ pound ground beef
- Salt to taste
- 1 raw egg
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. oil with achiote
- ¼ cup fresh milk
- salt to taste
- 4 cups oil for frying
- Bake the potatoes ahead of time and let cool. Then remove the skins from the potatoes, mash the potatoes, season and set aside.
- Prepare the meat filling. In a medium saucepan add the
- olive oil with achiote, heat, add the tomato, sofrito, garlic, cumin, and cook for several minutes. Add the meat and sauté for 5-8 minutes or until golden brown and season to taste.
- Prepare the flour mixture: In a container add the egg, wheat flour, oil with achiote, milk and salt to taste. Mix until combined and set aside.
- Prepare the fillings: Divide the mashed potatoes into 10-12 portions. With each portion of mashed potato, form a ball between the palms of your hands. Flatten and place a tablespoon of the filling in the center of the dough and close the potato dough into a ball covering all the filling with the mashed potatoes. Repeat with each serving until done. Set aside.
- In a deep frying pan add oil to fry and heat to 350 degrees.
- Pass the stuffed potatoes in wheat flour. Then dip each potato filling in the flour mixture, drain and fry until golden brown. Place on absorbent paper.
- Serve immediately and accompany with your favorite sauce.