- 4 lbs. green papaya without skin or seed and cut into pieces
- 2 liters water
- 1 tbsp. bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 4 cups granulated sugar
- 4 cups brown sugar
- 3-4 cinnamon sticks
- Peel the papaya, remove the seeds and cut into slices or pieces. In a large container add the papaya with the water, bicarbonate of soda and let it rest for 15 to 20 minutes. Then drain and rinse.
- In a medium saucepan add the papaya, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon sticks and cook covered at medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Uncover, cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour. Let cool and place in the refrigerator until serving time.
- When serving you can accompany with white cheese from the country.