RICE WITH HAM, PIGEON PEAS, AND BANANASADD TO FAVORITESGO TO FAVORITES
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ lb. chopped cooking ham
- ¾ sofrito cup
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 can 16 oz. pigeon peas
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- ½ cup white onion (minced)
- ½ cup diced colored bell peppers
- ¼ cup fresh coriander (minced)
- 1 large ripe banana fried and chopped
- Prepare the stewed pigeon peas: In a large skillet add the olive oil, heat and add the cooking ham and sauté for several minutes. Add the sauce, garlic and cook over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the pigeon peas, season to taste, cover and cook over medium heat for 10-12 minutes.
- Prepare the masonry. In a deep frying pan, add a drizzle of olive oil, heat and add the onion, peppers and sauté at medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Add the rice and sauté at medium heat for several minutes. Add the drained stewed pigeon peas (reserve the stew liquid and use what is necessary to make the mamposteao) and then add the fried and chopped bananas and the minced coriander. Saute for a few seconds. Serve hot.